Ebola outbreak in Central Africa tops 131 deaths as U.S. doctor becomes a confirmed case, WHO and CDC intensify monitoring
The Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo reached 131 deaths and 513 suspected cases as of Tuesday, May 19, 2026, health officials said. The World Health Organization declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern due to the outbreak’s rapid spread and the absence of an approved vaccine for the Bundibugyo strain involved.
The outbreak, which had previously been reported at 91 deaths out of 350 suspected cases, is centered in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, with confirmed transmission in Ituri province. According to the World Health Organization, 30 cases have been confirmed in Ituri, while the broader suspected caseload exceeds 500, with one official estimate at 513 suspected cases. Health authorities have expressed concern that the outbreak has spread beyond a single locality, raising the possibility of wider geographic transmission.
Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said the 131 deaths reported as of May 19, 2026, represent fatalities identified in the community and are not all necessarily confirmed Ebola deaths.
The World Health Organization declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, citing the rapid pace and scale of transmission. This designation was supported by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, which termed the situation a continental public health emergency. WHO officials clarified that the outbreak is not being treated as a pandemic but as a significant cross-border public health threat. An emergency meeting was convened by WHO to coordinate the international response.
The Ebola virus strain involved is identified as the Bundibugyo strain. Health reports indicate there is no approved vaccine or therapeutic treatment for this strain, a factor contributing to heightened concern among scientists and health agencies. WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasized the need for rapid surveillance, noting that the outbreak may be expanding faster than case confirmation can keep pace. The strain is described as highly contagious and particularly dangerous in settings with weak containment measures.
Cross-border spread has been confirmed with two cases reported in Uganda, including one death. WHO stated that the Ugandan cases involved individuals who had traveled from DR Congo. In response, WHO has advised cross-border screenings between DR Congo and Uganda to help limit further spread. The movement of people across borders is central to the current response strategy.
A U.S. citizen and doctor working in DR Congo was confirmed to have contracted Ebola. The medical missionary organization Serge identified the patient as one of its doctors who had been exposed through work in the outbreak area. Germany announced readiness to receive and treat the American patient. Reports from CBS indicated that at least six Americans may have been exposed to the virus, though this figure has not been formally confirmed by WHO or CDC.
The CDC stated that the risk to the United States remains relatively low but that preventive measures are in place. U.S. authorities have begun monitoring travelers arriving from affected regions and have imposed entry restrictions on non-U.S. passport holders who have been in Uganda, DR Congo, or South Sudan within the past 21 days. The U.S. issued a Level 4 travel warning for DR Congo, its highest advisory level, discouraging travel to the area. Additionally, screening of air passengers from outbreak-hit areas has commenced, and visa services for some travelers from affected countries have been temporarily suspended.
The outbreak was first confirmed in late the previous week before the May 19 update. Health officials have indicated that the number of cases may continue to rise as investigations and surveillance efforts proceed. The lack of an approved vaccine and the rapid spread of the Bundibugyo strain remain key challenges for containment efforts. WHO and CDC continue to coordinate international response activities aimed at limiting the outbreak’s expansion.