Here’s the thing: if caffeine and natural nootropics could do what Adderall does, we wouldn’t “need” Adderall. The stimulant drug would completely lose its appeal, and we wouldn’t be here searching for an alternative to Adderall.
But it is notable that, despite Adderall being much more potent in action than your typical over-the-counter brain booster, here we are asking the question: What are the best natural alternatives to Adderall?
If Adderall’s so great, why would we want to replace it?
Simply put: anything that so easily feels as great as Adderall does tends to come with not-so-great side effects.
TL;DR – Top 3 Roundup of the Best Adderall Alternatives:
• Performance Lab Stim: Best natural stimulant Adderall Alternative
• Mind Lab Pro: Best overall nootropic supplement as an Adderall Alternative
• Performance Lab Mind: Best Non-Stim Adderall Alternative
As Newton’s Third Law states, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. And in the case of Adderall, the “opposite reaction” to Adderall’s stimulatory action is the well-known post-energy “comedown” and “crash.”
Not to mention the serious side effects, ranging from metabolic imbalance to psychosis, associated with ongoing Adderall use—or, rather, misuse.
It’s like flying a plane only designed for lift-off without any preparatory mechanisms for a safe landing. Once you’re up, your best option at avoiding the comedown is to …well, to stay up—by taking more Adderall!
But, of course, like an airborne plane, the human brain can’t stay “up” forever. Flight requires fuel and fuel is limited.
Which brings us back to natural nootropics. While lacking the feel-good potency of prescription amphetamines, natural nootropics organically enhance cognition—i.e., lift the brain—not at the cost of brain fuel but by fueling the brain. By optimizing brain metabolism, balancing neurochemistry, protecting neural tissue, etc. etc.
In this article, we cover some of the Top Adderall Alternatives and Natural Over-the-Counter Options for brain health and function enhancement. Including the best nootropics and individual nootropic ingredients.
Let’s get to it.
Top 3 Natural Adderall Alternatives
What Adderall accomplishes with brute neurochemical force, a complex stack of nootropics as Adderall alternatives may also achieve. Albeit without the severe “feel good” energy spike and severe “feel bad” energy comedown side effects.
By targeting multiple brain pathways, natural nootropics may not only enhance various brain function measures typically associated with smart drugs like Adderall (mood, focus, energy, etc.) but also foster a healthier cognitive metabolism that negates the “need” for heavy amphetamines altogether—at least for the average customer.
With that in mind, the top 3 natural Adderall alternatives include, in no particular order:
1. Performance Lab® Stim
For the Best Deal, Visit www.performancelab.com
There are caffeine pills, and then there’s Performance Lab® Stim, an ultramodern stim formula stacked with naturally sourced caffeine, nootropic aminos, and a bioavailability-enhanced B-vitamin complex.
Let’s call it the “Caffeine 2.0 Pill.”
Excess caffeine, like Adderall, may have counterproductive effects on cognitive performance.
Unlike the standard caffeinated supplement, which cram a jittery megadose of synthetic caffeine in each serving, Performance Lab® Stim supplies a minimally effective dosage of natural caffeine (50mg) that may be scaled to each user’s stimulatory needs and tolerance.
And then, of course, there are the nootropics to both augment and counterbalance the stimulatory effects of caffeine: L-theanine for sharper, calmer focus, L-tyrosine for improved attention and stress relief, and B-vitamins for mood-related micronutrient replenishment.
Altogether, Stim’s formula splits into two stacks:
1. Performance-Tuned Stimulation: the popular caffeine + L-theanine nootropic duo delivered in an optimal 2:1 Suntheanine® L-theanine to natural caffeine ratio, matching the ratio used in most successful human research studies.
2. Caffeine Balance and Recovery: premium amino acids and a bioavailability-enhanced B-vitamin complex designed to counterbalance caffeine’s stimulatory demands on the central nervous system (CNS) and replenish key catecholaminergic micronutrients lost to caffeine’s diuretic effect.
Visit www.performancelab.com for the lowest price
Obviously, caffeine isn’t in the same ballpark as Adderall—although their stimulatory effects on cognition are comparable. Both enhance catecholaminergic activity in the central nervous system (CNS), both amplify mood and focus—at least temporarily, after which the user is often left feeling down and unfocused and mentally fatigued.
As if their neurochemicals have been totally sapped dry.
Not so with Performance Lab® Stim. By pairing caffeine with L-theanine, the green tea amino associated with calm, focused, free-flowing cognition, and other catecholaminergic compounds, Stim delivers all the performance enhancing benefits of stimulants—and then some—without the subsequent post-energy comedown and crash side effects.
Supplement Facts: Natural Caffeine (from Coffea robusta seeds), Suntheanine® L-Theanine, Ajipure® L-Tyrosine; NutriGenesis® Caffeine Balance B-Complex: Riboflavin+ (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B6+, Folate+ (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12+
Get the Best Deal on Performance Lab® Stim Here.
2. Mind Lab Pro®
For the Best Deal, Visit www.mindlabpro.com
The universal nootropic formula, Mind Lab Pro® combines 11 of the best natural cognitive enhancers in one of the most effective all-in-one brain booster stacks…
…Without relying on stimulants, racetams, or synthetic brain boosters of any kind.
Instead, Mind Lab Pro® takes a 100% natural approach to 100% brainpower. Supplying a mix of well-researched ingredients in premium, potent forms.
To naturally and comprehensively elevate mental performance, Mind Lab Pro® targets 6 brain bio-pathways:
1. Brain Energy: mitochondrial ATP energy boosters and raw material required for a healthy brain energy levels and metabolism.
2. Brain Chemicals: acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin—Mind Lab Pro® optimizes brain chemicals across the board.
3. Blood Flow: cerebral circulation plays a key role in keeping the brain well-nourished with oxygen and life-essential nutrients.
4. Brainwaves: namely alpha brainwaves, an electrical brain frequency associated with calm, yet focused cognitive performance.
5. Neuroprotection: by reducing neurotoxin build-up and oxidative stress (free radicals), Mind Lab Pro® helps protect neuronal health.
6. Neuroregeneration: Mind Lab Pro® naturally enhances nerve growth factor (NGF) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels for increased brain repair and regeneration.
For the Best Deal, Visit www.mindlabpro.com
The idea here isn’t to severely elevate one aspect of cognitive performance, as Adderall does with catecholamine “Fight or Flight” neurochemicals, but rather to optimize all cognitive cog-wheels to ensure that the brain is operating at heightened levels across the board.
While some of Mind Lab Pro®’s ingredients acutely boost several aspects of on-the-spot brain performance, the real benefits of this formula accumulate over time with consistent, daily use. This is a nootropic formula that assists with both short-term and ongoing brain performance, supporting virtually all aspects of cognition: memory, mood, focus, attention, concentration, composure, etc.
The stim-free supply of L-theanine and L-tyrosine here may even help reduce the crash impact of your current stim use—e.g., for Adderall, modafinil, caffeine, and so on.
Supplement Facts: Citicoline (as Cognizin®), Bacopa Monnieri (as full spectrum extract 24% bacosides with 9 bioactives), Lion’s Mane Mushroom (full spectrum), Phosphatidylserine (as Sharp-PS® Green from sunflower lecithin), N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine (as Suntheanine®), Rhodiola Rosea (3% rosavins, 1% salidrosides), Maritime Pine Bark Extract (95% proanthocyanidins)
Get the Best Deal on Mind Lab Pro® Here.
3. Performance Lab® Mind
For the Best Deal, Visit www.performancelab.com
A revolutionary, stim-free brain formula designed to promote peak cognitive performance and longevity, Performance Lab® Mind combines the best multi-tasking nootropic ingredients in an easy, convenient, capsule stack.
Supplying each cognitive enhancer in an advanced potent form, Mind gets a lot of mileage out of such an ostensibly simple formula. Outperforming other nootropic supplements that cheaply rely on synthetic stimulants and impotent ingredients to deliver their cognitive benefits.
Altogether, the Performance Lab® Mind formula is comprised of:
• Citicoline – an organic compound produced in all living cells, citicoline optimizes brain cell mitochondrial for enhanced brain energy metabolism and neuroregeneration. • Phosphatidylserine – beneficial fatty acids highly concentrated in the brain, PS promotes nerve growth factor (NGF) and helps form brain cell membranes. • Tyrosine – a catecholaminergic amino acid that stimulates synthesis of performance-oriented neurochemicals and maintains norepinephrine levels otherwise depleted by stress and stimulants. • Maritime Pine Bark Extract – supplying a rich complex of antioxidant proanthocyanidins, maritime pine bark extract assists with neuroprotection, cerebral circulation, and (via an unknown pathway) attention performance for those affected by attention deficient hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
For the Best Deal, Visit www.performancelab.com
Whereas amphetamines synthetically flush the brain with an unnatural degree of neurochemical activity, Performance Lab® Mind’s nootropics naturally bolster brain fuction for both acute and long term brain support.
While Performance Lab® Mind is completely stim-free, this formula works well with Performance Lab® Stim, offering additional natural cognitive enhancement support to Stim’s nootropic-enhanced caffeine formula. The combination of stimulatory caffeine (via Stim) and organic energy production (via Mind) provides a more comprehensive brain boost that you won’t find with Adderall, or any other standalone stimulant.
Supplement Facts: Cognizin® Citicoline (from stabilized cytidine 5’diphosphocholine), Sharp-PS® Green Phosphatidylserine (derived from Non-GMO sunflower lecithin), Ajipure® L-Tyrosine, Maritime Pine Bark Extract (95% proanthocyanidins)
Get the Best Deal on Performance Lab® Mind Here.
Best Over-The-Counter Nootropic Ingredients That Work Well as Adderall Alternatives
Buying a premade nootropic stack is the easiest and perhaps most effective strategy to elevate brain performance in the absence of Adderall—and other comparable pharmaceutical stimulants.
However, if you’re looking to create your own alternative to Adderall, you can buy standalone over-the-counter nootropics as you see fit.
Some of the best individual “Adderall Alternatives” as nootropic ingredients include:
Natural Caffeine + L-Theanine
Is it possible to simultaneously stimulate and relax the mind? With Adderall, the answer is no.
But with caffeine + L-theanine as Adderall Alternatives, despite being a simple common stack, these brain boosters stimulatory and calming effects respectively complement one another for calm, yet energized thinking.
Think of it as being “in the zone”—that intense state of mind where you feel like your processing power has been drastically cranked up, allowing you to think at an unusually accelerated pace while maintaining enough cognitive composure to stay focused and on task. Here’s a brief breakdown:
• Caffeine – acts as an adenosine-receptor antagonist, which keeps the brain in an alert catecholaminergic state. • L-Theanine – is an amino acid sourced from green tea leaves that uniquely relaxes the mind without sedating it, allowing one to recenter their composure in a mood-elevated state.
With Adderall’s ostensible purpose in treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), research on the combined effects of caffeine and L-theanine on the symptoms of ADHD is relevant here.
In one study on the effects of L-theanine+caffeine combination on sustained attention and inhibitory control among children with ADHD, a group of researchers observed notable improvements with the nootropic duo, leading to them to the conclusion that the “L-theanine-caffeine combination may be a potential therapeutic option for ADHD-associated impairments in sustained attention, inhibitory control and overall cognitive performance.”
Involved as co-factors in hundreds of enzymatic processes, B-vitamins are particularly important to the syntheses of mood-related serotonergic and catecholaminergic (dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine) neurotransmitters.
Though, obviously, B-vitamins alone won’t accomplish anything comparable to the effects of even caffeine (let alone Adderall), they are an important stack consideration with caffeine and other catecholaminergic nootropics, such as L-tyrosine (see below).
In the context of ADHD, research has linked B-vitamin deficiency with the ADHD diagnosis, suggesting that B-vitamins may play a role in the development of ADHD and other inattention-related conditions. Taking a daily B-vitamin supplement (specifically vitamins B6, B9, and B12) may significantly help sustain healthy cognitive performance and metabolism, while preserving circulating B-vitamin levels from the depleting effects of caffeine.
It’s certainly classed as one of the best multivitamins for men.
A multi-purpose nootropic powerhouse, citicoline (CDP choline) is a two-for-one cognitive enhancer that, unlike other cholinergic brain boosters that simply supply choline, offers two key compounds for daily performance enhancement and ongoing cognitive support.
Those two compounds being:
1. Cytidine: a precursor compound to uridine, a nootropic nucleotide believed to assist with brain energy metabolism and synaptic plasticity.
2. Choline: a key building block unit that provides raw material for the synthesis of phosphatidylcholine (PC), an integral unit of the cell bilayer membrane, and acetylcholine (ACh), one of the most important neurotransmitters for memory, learning, and many other high-order cognitive processes.
While Adderall heightens catecholamine activity (dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine) for an acute boost on cognitive arousal and alertness, citicoline’s cholinergic boost (i.e., acetylcholine) does more to help with prolonged cognitive performance and health in the areas of memory, learning, and cellular energy production.
In a study on the effects of a natural citicoline + caffeine beverage, a group of researchers found the citicoline + caffeine combination effective at accomplishing certain cognitive performance tasks, providing significant evidence that “[citicoline + caffeine] significantly improved sustained attention, cognitive effort, and reaction times in healthy adults.”
Under conditions of heightened brain activity and stress, the brain burns through L-tyrosine to produce catecholamine neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. As a pro-catecholaminergic amino acid, L-tyrosine is essential to productive brain activity—which is why, after prolonged stress and/or sleep deprivation, the brain tends to “burn out” as your L-tyrosine levels dwindle.
In fact, “brain burnout” may as well be synonymous with L-tyrosine depletion, considering the importance of L-tyrosine to maintaining heightened levels of focus and energy and attention. This may partly explain why you feel so brain-drained after an Adderall high: you’ve burned through all your tyrosine to sustain all that catecholamine activity.
Certainly, taking L-tyrosine after a bout of Adderall (or caffeine) may help replenish lost tyrosine levels, reducing the post-energy side effects of stimulants. However, considering that we often take stimulants in response to brain burnout (e.g., say, after a poor night of sleep), taking L-tyrosine instead may help provide the brain lift you need, as well as a boost on mood and attention performance, without the subsequent crash.
Maritime Pine Bark Extract
A rich source of antioxidant proanthocyanidins, Maritime Pine Bark Extract is a very exciting health ingredient that’s finding a lot of popularity and success among the nootropic crowd. And for good reason—or, rather, for good reasons:
• Maritime pine bark extract helps protect brain and body tissues against harmful oxidative stress (free radicals).
• MPBE enhances nitric oxide (NO) activity to promote peak blood flow throughout the brain and body.
• MPBE has been associated with significant reductions in ADHD symptoms, such as hyperactivity and inattention.
Though the exact mechanisms of maritime pine bark extract’s effects on ADHD symptoms remain somewhat unknown, the data seems pretty clear that this novel extract is an effective cognitive enhancer under conditions of hyperactivity and inattention. What’s more, maritime pine bark extract seems to possess long-term advantages of attention performance, with improvements noticed by researchers well beyond the termination of maritime pine bark extract administration.
Conclusion: There are some great natural Adderall alternatives on the market
Some resort to Adderall out of last-minute desperation—a hefty final exam in on the near-horizon, a major essay is due tomorrow, etc., etc.—whereas others turn to Adderall to have a fun night out on the town. Fewer still actually require the pharmaceutical stimulant, leading many to criticize the overuse of Adderall as legit drug abuse.
In either case, even those who really enjoy Adderall (who doesn’t??) often hit a wall with the stimulant, as they increasingly feel burnt out—like the pros are no longer worth the cons.
Fortunately, there are some great natural alternatives to Adderall on the market, including both pre-made formula supplements and standalone nootropic ingredients that you can mix-and-match at will. As natural alternatives to Adderall, these nootropics work not by delivering the exact same brain-jolting effects as Adderall (otherwise, you’ll be facing the exact same side effects as Adderall’s) but by fostering a healthier brain metabolism for ongoing, sustained heightened performance.
Whereas Adderall saps all your brain energy resources, Performance Lab® and Mind Lab Pro® fuel and replenish your brain with supercharging aminos, herbal extracts, and advanced micronutrients for a comprehensive all-in-one brain lift. No synthetics, no risky stims—only clean, all-natural daily brainpower for both fast-acting and long-lasting performance.
1. Lakhan SE, Kirchgessner A. Prescription stimulants in individuals with and without attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: misuse, cognitive impact, and adverse effects. Brain Behav. 2012 Sep; 2(5): 661-667.
2. Ulvik A et al. Coffee consumption and circulation B-vitamins in healthy middle-aged men and women. Clin Chem. 2008 Sep; 54(9): 1489-96.
3. Synoradzki K, Grieb P. Citicoline: A Superior Form of Choline? Nutrients. 2019 Jul; 11(7): 1569.
4. Kim HY et al. Phosphatidylserine in the Brain: Metabolism and Function. Prog Lipid Res. 2014 Oct; 0: 1-18.
5. Nagatsu T. The catecholamine system in health and disease—Relation to tyrosine 3-monooxygenase and other catecholamine-synthesizing enzymes. Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci. 2006; 82(10): 388-415.
6. Iravani S, Zolfaghari B. Pharmaceutical and nutraceutical effects of Pinus pinaster bark extract. Res Pharm Sci. 2011 Jan-Jun; 6(1): 1-11.
7. Daly JW et al. The role of adenosine receptors in the central action of caffeine. Pharmacopsychoecologia. 1994; 7(2): 201-213.
8. Nobre AC et al. L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008; 17 Suppl 1: 167-8.
9. Kahathuduwa CN et al. Effects of L-theanine—caffeine combination on sustained attention and inhibitory control among children with ADHD: a proof-of-concept neuroimaging RCT. Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 13072.
10. Landaas ET et al. Vitamin levels in adults with ADHD. BJPsych Open. 2016 Nov; 2(6): 377-384.
11. Hasselmo ME. The Role of Acetylcholine in Learning and Memory. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2006 Dec; 16(6): 710-715.
12. Bruce SE et al. Improvements in Concentration, Working Memory, and Sustained Attention Following Consumption of a Natural Citicoline-Caffeine Beverage. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2014 Dec; 65(8): 1003-1007.
13. Hinz M et al. Treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with monoamine amino acid precursors and organic cation transporter assay interpretation. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2011; 7: 31-38.
14. Trebatická J et al. Treatment of ADHD with French maritime pine bark extract, Pycnogenol. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006 Sep; 15(6): 329-35.